Monday, February 18, 2013

Self Portrait #1. Self portrait Poetry

“I paint myself because I am often alone and

I am the subject I know best.”

– Frida Kahlo

 
I have little time these days to steal away to my 'Play Room' and make messy experiments
or bold spontaneous creations with my hoards of supplies.  
Many of my new art toys are still unopened and some old ones are drying up... these abandoned play things await my return.
 
I have a sense of my 'creative self' drying out and cracking like the paints in boxes on my shelves. 
 
Deep within me there is an instinctive desire to paint, to write, to explore and draw. This innate longing has existed as long as I have known me.
To make images, marks and lines great or not so great, it doesn't matter as long as I can express my world and my feelings through a creative channel.
 
I recall a quote, from memory, revealing that 'Lack of time is really a lack of commitment'.
 
""Light Globe Moment""...... This really is true and to prove it I intend to commit to saving time for my needs and desires.
 
Each and every single day I will take time to listen to what my 'creative self' needs and I will
express myself through and with whatever materials are close at hand. I don't need elaborate, must- have arty stuff to make my mark...........Paper, pencil and my commitment is all I need.
 
 
 

Self Portrait #1: Drawn from memory and what I think I look like.
HB pencil on hardboard sketchbook cover.

Below is an example of Self Portrait Poetry

The Delight Song of Tsoai-talee


by N. Scott Momaday

I am a feather on the bright sky

I am the blue horse that runs on the plain
I am the fish that rolls, shining, in the water
I am the shadow that follows a child

I am the evening light, the lustre of meadows
I am an eagle playing with the wind
I am a cluster of bright beads
 I am the farthest star
I am the cold of dawn
I am the roaring of the rain
I am the glitter of the crust of the snow
I am the long track of the moon in a lake
I am a flame of four colors
I am a deer standing away in the dusk
I am a field of sumac and the pomme blanche
I am an angle of geese in the winter sky
I am the hunger of a young wolf
I am the whole dream of these things
You see, I am alive, I am alive
I stand in good relation to the earth

I stand in good relation to the gods
I stand in good relation to all that is beautiful
I stand in good relation to the daughter of Tsen-tainte
You see, I am alive, I am alive

Please Note: From some of the comments I have received, it seems some people think this is my poem, It Is Not. As I have written under the heading it is penned by:
N. Scott Momaday
 

Have a truly wonderful week:




7 comments:

Jenny said...

Beautiful beautiful post Clare... love your self portrait... your words... the poetry and quote... and can so relate... paper, pencil and commitment... perfect... your work is stunning...

Jenny ♥

Jen xo said...

what a lovely post clare......love your self portrait too....

Clare said...

Thanx again, Jen & jen.... My only fans!! :) :)

Alex said...

Lovely! :) Self-portraits can be so intimidating to do sometimes, I'd say you've nailed it!

Tammie Lee said...

I enjoyed your post very much. Seeing your portrait is wonderful. and the song, well it is beautiful as can be. thank you ~

Caatje said...

I love the conclusion of your poem. And I'm in awe that you can draw yourself from memory!

Stew Crowther said...

Really nice self portrait Clare :-)
stew
stewcrowther.WordPress.com