Friday, September 06, 2013

Messing up The Moleskine

The Blank Page.

 
Like many creatives I would often stare at my blank page
and wish I could lay down something fresh and original.
However my imagination or 'muse' was often stifled by the
necessary everyday tasks at hand.
At the end of the day I'd relax in my favourite spot and stare at the white page 
and wonder what will I draw now that my brain is tired
and my imagination has said goodnight?

Doodle,

I would just doodle, there is nothing wrong with that, I love doodling!
And I have made some doodled pages I enjoy looking at.
 One evening It struck me, I was expecting myself to create perfect
works of art in my sketchbook! Silly Me, it's a sketchbook for heavens sake! 
And it's my hobby book, a place where I draw,
play around with mixed media, practise and jot down my thought and ideas.

'Back to Basics'

Every day now, whenever I have a spare moment, I open my book
 and splotch in some ink or watercolour paint & blow it around a little,
gelli in a background, spray over a transfer, stick in a torn shape or two
and draw funny little sketches all on different pages,
all without thinking about what it is I am doing.
Then when I retire to the favourite spot at the end of the day
I open any page and my imagination takes over, my eyes see all sorts of
exciting images instead of a blank white page.
And I create without caring about perfection and the best thing
is I like what I see.
 
29 faces: 10, 11, 12.





Gelly Printed & Inky Backgrounds waiting to inspire me.

Examples of Found Images in Backgrounds.





Gelli Print Using a Rhubarb Leaf

Gelli Print Using a Peg Basket

Ink Sprayed Through A Stencil


29 faces # 13 Ink, Stencil & Found Face

Above & Below, Ink Spray through Peg Basket.



If you dropped in today I hope you enjoyed this post.
Have a Happy Friday and a Marvellous Weekend..........







12 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

how wonderful that sketching
and imagination
are such a wonderful part of your life

it is a joy to see your creations

Clare said...

Thank you Tammie, I love this whole creative life, don,t you?

Jenny said...

Beautiful and inspiring post Clare.. your doodles... backgrounds... girls and little creatures are all gorgeous... can so relate to the blank page... amazing how just a splash of color can be the difference... such eye candy with your deliciousness...

Jenny ♥

Jen xo said...

oh the gelli prinsting is just delish clare !!! but the vampire rabbit cracked me up...love how you 'see'things :)

Giggles said...

Clare this is wonderful work and I love the way you freely play in your journal. I love your characters...add your link to Paint Party friday and get in on the fun!!

Hug Giggles

Francie said...

Really, really gorgeous pages. You have a good "eye".

Sunshineshelle said...

Fun fun fun, bursting with colour and imagination! Love this post and so relate to that blank paper, it's almost like the start of a great journey, just you and art mediums... Tell you a secret, I usually have 'visual diaries' the cheapies, and I bought myself a moleskin, the treasured notebook that Picasso, Van Gogh etc used... And each time I open it I feel like I should be doing a masterpiece because of it's history LOL, so I close it up again... You Clare put he whole thing in perspective, it's just a sketchbook, think I will now approach it with a sense of fun and adventure, not like it's a holy relic ;)

Sunshineshelle said...

PS forgot to say 'thanks' for visiting me on Etsy, I'm making over my shop at the moment so I'm just rebuilding the store, I had a lot of aceos (little original pieces about the size of a business card) so I've decided to give one away with any other purchase - sort of a lucky dip and thx for buying my work ;) but I'm not advertising it. Sometimes if I have something on my blog I get a request before it gets to Etsy which is lovely, or sell locally, I must admit I do my art for sanity, just love it. Wow I've been a bit chatty, soz about that, just thought I'd explain as you'd asked :D have a great weekend!!

Kelly Jacobi said...

I love the way you did the red-heads' hair! I also love the dark inky things you've painted.

Tammie Lee said...

gosh i was just looking at these again. There are so many wonderful pages, designs, faces, and doodles. really fun and fabulous.

Vasi said...

You said so well the one thing I struggle to remember: One should create without caring about perfection. Loved seeing all these doodles, and reading how you make them. Thank you for the great post! xx

Monique said...

WOW, Looooove these!
xx Monique